Re: Need advise from PL/SQL experts on script

From: Dave Wotton <Dave.Wotton_at_dwotton.nospam.clara.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 13:41:22 -0000

g.t. wrote in message <96fcgi$2vui$1_at_thoth.cts.com>...
>I think you only need to remove the CLOSE c1, OPEN c1 in your IF..THEN block
>at the end. You are updating via rowid (as opposed to "current of") so no
>need to open the cursor more than one time. When you open it that one time
>it will see customer # at that point in time and not update twice. If you
>get "Snapshot too old", try reducing the number of rows between commits.

No, 100% wrong. If you try to keep the cursor open across commits, regardless of whether you're updating via rowid or via "current of", you'll make yourself vulnerable to "snapshot too old". And reducing the number of rows between commits, ie. increasing the frequency of commits, will make the problem worse. See my web-page (URL in earlier post in thread) for an explanation.

Dave.

--
If you reply to this newsgroup posting by email, remove the "nospam"
from my email address first.