4GB file limit in Oracle8 ???

From: Jaroslaw Lubczynski <eljot_at_elkomtech.com.pl>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 08:27:34 +0100

Is there any 4GB file limit in Oracle8 ???

Situation:
Oracle 8.0.5 Workgroup Edition on Win NT 4.0 (Intel, RAID V controller), Service Pack 6, NTFS. Tablespace USER consists of one large 4 GB file with Auto Extend flag enabled. When tablespace was fulfilled and INSERTs coutinued, Oracle would try to extend file over 4GB size I suppose. Then database crashed. error ORA-00600 occured (internal error) and datafile of tablespace USER was truncated to about 8 MB in size. Of course I had to restore database from tape.When I restarted application which made several INSERTs into database, Oracle crashed again when tablespace USER got fulfilled.

Now the tablespace USER has been divided into several smaller ( <= 2GB ) files and works perfectly, so questions are: 1. Is there a 4 GB datbase file limit in Oracle8 (or Win NT?????), or 2. Is any known bug in Oracle8 which can cause crash after trying to increase database file over 4GB?

I have found no word about it in my CD docs.

I hope there is no reachable limit in tablespace size (I will be forced to add 3rd 2GB datafile to largest tablespace very soon).

thanks for any information,

Jaroslaw ELJOT Lubczynski Received on Thu Feb 15 2001 - 01:27:34 CST