listener on two databases stopped working! now says can't find object or host!

From: oskar <pheonix1t_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 01:18:12 GMT

hello people,
today the listener on our oracle databases stopped working. It was configured for two databases (7.3.3 and 8.0.6). I was installing an application called Reportsmith on a server that connects to the oracle databases (they are in an HP-UX 9000/800). I added a user to the newer database and it worked fine. After about an hour, someone noticed the listener wasn't working. I couldn't connect to either database. I tried going from the command line to use the listener control command on the hp box but no luck. An error kept coming up saying that it couldn't find the listener.ora file...can't locate host or object! The file was in the oracle home but for some reason the thing couldn't see itself??? I'm thinking either bring down the database and restart it or rebooting the server.
Any other suggestions?? This is new to me.

Thank you,
Oskar Received on Wed Feb 14 2001 - 19:18:12 CST