Re: selecting the HWM of a table

From: <oradba_at_sybrandb.-deletethisbit-demon.nl>
Date: 14 Feb 2001 01:35:47 -0800

In article <3A8991B4.3251F55E_at_hetnet.nl>, Harmonie says...

>Dear guru's,
>
>is there a way to directly select the current high water mark of a
>(normal) table from the data dictionary or the shared pool?
>
>I don't want to (1) analyze the table and (2) lookup the blocks column
>in dba_tables. I don't want to make a blockdump from the table's segment
>header as well.
>
>Just a plain select must do!
>Any (plsql) tricks are allowed.
>
>Kind Regards,
>
>Herman de Boer.

Dba_tables doesn't store the HWM and the blocks column in dba_tables only shows you the number of blocks allocated. So that would have provided incorrect info anyway.
You need to use the dbms_free_space package to retrieve this information. AFAIK there are no other solutions, except for exporting and importing followed by an analyze.
Why do you need this info?
You're not going to develop using the HWM, hopefully?

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Wed Feb 14 2001 - 03:35:47 CST