Re: Can one have 2 instances on 8.1.6/NT 4.0?

From: Fuzzy <granta_at_nospam.student.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 23:00:52 GMT

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 15:13:35 -0500, JOEshmoe <JOEshmoe_at_HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Can an NT 4.0 system running Oracle 8.1.6 have two instances? In the
>registry the only entry for Oracle.SID is the second instance name.
>There are two entries for everything else.
>
>thanks

You can have as many instances as you can run in memory ;-) I have 6 instances running on one NT 4 SP6 box with 512MB RAM (mostly test stuff).

The registry entry reflects the current ORACLE_SID value. It will be used for bequeath connections (and possibly other things?) if no environment variable overrides it. The ways to locally connect to the other instances include
- setting ORACLE_SID environment variable to the desired value before connecting (just like unix),
- using a non-bequeath connection (i.e. specify a tns alias), - etc.

Enjoy

Ciao
Fuzzy