Help with Random Samples!

From: Scott Weiner <sweiner_at_infinata.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 18:19:56 GMT

I need to be able to get a random sample of some number of records out of a table. For instance the user may say "give me 300 random records".

Assuming the table has 300+ records in it I need to RANDOMLY bring back 300 records.

Any idea how I do this in Oracle 8i? I tried using the Sample function but that seems to only provide an approximation through a percentage. I need to get back exact numbers of random samples.

Thanks!

--
_______________________________
Scott Weiner

Infinata, Inc.
400 Massachusetts Avenue, Suite 2
Arlington, MA 02474

T: 781.643.3856
F: 781.643.2294
sweiner_at_infinata.com
www.infinata.com

The information contained in this e-mail communication and any attached
documentation may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected
from
disclosure and is intended only for the use of the designated
recipient(s).
If the reader or recipient of this communication is not the intended
recipient, or an employee or agent of the intended recipient who is
notified that any review, dissemination, distribution, copying or other
use
of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this

communication in error, please immediately notify us by return e-mail
and
promptly delete the original electronic e-mail communication and any
attached documentation.  Receipt by anyone other than the intended
recipient
is not a waiver of any work-product privilege.