Re: RMAN

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 02:10:04 +1100

Not ordinarily.

Usually, you'd do a 'recovery until time' (and RMAN syntax allows you to do just that). If I dropped a table at 11.05am, you'd take all datafiles back to the way they were last night, and roll them forward until 11.04am, then open with a resetlogs. RMAN does just the same.

TSPITR is used for those rare occasions where I tell you I've dropped a table, you ask when, and I reply "three weeks ago"... you are not likely to want to effectively take the entire database back to where it was three weeks in the past, so you'd clone the database, and recover the *clone* to three weeks ago, and then use boring old export and import to get the dropped table back into the production database.

You can get RMAN to do a TSPITR, but it's messy (I usually prefer a manual clone and a manual recovery). Look at the Backup and Recovery reference stuff provided with Oracle for guidelines. I'm pretty certain that when it comes to discuss this issue, they say: do any of this only in conjunction with Worldwide Support. Which tells you something!

Regards