Re: Oracle 8.1.7 missing DBA Management pack and Instance Manager

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 12:43:19 +1100

Ok, here's the story with my 8.1.7EE install (though it was done on W2K professional)

I have a start-programs menu item called "Oracle - OraHome81". Within that I have all the following options: Application Development, Database Administration, Enterprise Manager, Extended Administration, Migration Utilties, Network Administration, Oracle HTTP Server, Oracle Internet Directory, Quick Tours, Release Notes.

Within Enterprise Manager (because I think that's what you're really interested in), I have options for Configuration Assistant, Console and Migration Assistant only.

So I think we can conclude that you are not missing the Instance Manager etc. because of anything you did wrong, or because of any prior installations. You're missing all of that because (I suspect) you've only installed the Enterprise Edition itself, not OEM. OEM is a separate product, and needs to be installed separately. There's a version 2.2 for Windows, which I've just now installed...

There are three packs available: OEM with Change Management, Diagnostics and Tuning Packs, a Management Pack for Oracle Applications, and one for SAP. Obviously you want the first one (I'm referring specifically to the download section on Technet:
http://technet.oracle.com/software/products/oem/software_index.htm)

Unfortunately, that first one is a 370Mb download... hope you've got a T1 connection!

Anyway: when that is installed, you get the old familiar Instance Manager, Security Manager and so on.

HTH
Regards
HJR "Terry Adams" <tadams111_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:nBdi6.173$yi4.172259_at_newsr1.u-net.net...
> Ok thanks this is more helpfull, I don't mind waiting a few hours to get
> the bottom of it.
>
> Terry Adams
>
> "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in message
> > I think, Terry, that he is saying "read the documentation and you will
 find
> > the answer".
> >
> > Rather more usefully, I will tell you that I installed 8.1.7ee on W2K
 Pro
> > just last Wednesday, and everything seems to be perfectly fine. (I have
> > say that a great many posts here are about installation problems, and I
 can
> > never figure it out why, since all I ever do is insert CD and click the
 Next
> > buttons. I get a perfect install everytime; everyone else seems to end
 up
> > slashing their wrists).
> >
> > If you give me around 10 hours (it is now around 10.30pm here), I will
 post
> > what I have from the 8.1.7 installation, and see if we can't progress
 this
> > further.
> >
> > Regards
> > HJR
> >

> > "Terry Adams" <tadams111_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Does this mean I need to install the DBA Management pack separately
 then?
> > > and what about the text on the menu item reading differently?
> > >
> > > Terry Adams
> > >
> > > "frank.sara" <frank.sara_at_infonie.fr> wrote in message
 seem
 be

 if
 this