Re: Backup question - temp tablespaces

From: Syltrem <syltrem_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 14:09:22 -0500

Thanks for the info.

Is this still valid for online backups, in the case you have to restore all the db after a disaster, say? Won't Oracle sometimes want to see the temp segments to rollback transactions or something like this?

--

Sytrem
http://pages.infinit.net/syltrem

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> a écrit dans le message news:
Jc3i6.174$305.62763_at_inet16.us.oracle.com...

> The 'create datafile blah as blah1' syntax is specifically designed for
> re-creating a tablespace (well, a datafile really) that is subject to
media
> failure but which has never been included in a previous backup. Provided
> ALL redo since time of the datafile's creation is available, the thing can
> still be recovered -but the redo needs to be applied to a new, blank
> datafile which looks to the database like an exact copy of the old one.
>
> In short, that bit of syntax has absolutely nothing to do with recovering
or
> backing up TEMP tablespaces.
>
> The usual recommendation for temp datafiles is to do exactly what you went
> on to do. Oracle will always notice ANY missing datafiles (whether of
type
> TEMPORARY or PERMANENT), and will prompt you to perform recovery on it.
The