Re: CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME and MAXLOGHISTORY

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_usgs.gov>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 13:54:20 GMT

Howard,

> What version is this again, Brian (my BRAIN_RECORD_KEEP_TIME is
> significantly under 21 days!!)?

The version of db that I tested this on was Oracle 8.0.6!

As I posted yesterday, the number of records in V$ARCHIVED_LOG was more than the MAXLOGHISTORY parameter from the previous night's control file dump to trace. So I check last night's dump to trace and *VOILA* the MAXLOGHISTORY jumped again!!!!

On occasion, my BRAIN_RECORD_KEEP_TIME is more than 21 days and other times it's around 21 minutes. And there seems to be no pattern as to which BRAIN_RECORD_KEEP_TIME applies to which records. I'd fill out an iTAR on the problem, but I'm sure that Oracle would have me spend two weeks just verify that my SQL*Net connection between the two halves of the brain worked.

That being said, if memory serves me right you had mentioned in the beginning that it was MAXLOGHISTORY which was the driving force behind this whole thing. I would agree that it appears that way on the surface. But upon further examination, it must be the KEEP_TIME parameter which drives the whole thing and the MAXLOGHISTORY adjusts itself to keep pace.

It was a fun little experiment nontheless.

Cheers!
Brian Received on Tue Feb 13 2001 - 07:54:20 CST