Re: Need suggestions for filesystem config, spindle separation, striping for HP-UX/PeopleSoft

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 15:42:08 +1100

"John K. Hayes" <aikosys_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message news:3A89AC42.44ABBA4D_at_earthlink.net...
> We are installing a new server. Anyone have any opinions on the best
> database server filesystem configuration to provide best performance for
> the PeopleSoft HRMS application?
>
> Platform: HP 9000 Series L-1000
> 1 x 440MHz PA8500 CPU
> 1024MB RAM
> 2 x 36GB disk (72GB total)
> HP-UX 11.0 64-bit O/S
> Oracle 8.1.7 DBMS
> Apache Web Server and PeopleSoft8 A/S to run on this same box
>
> Question: What is the best disk spindle separation scheme for the
> following oracle object types: data tables, indexes, rollbacks, redo
> logs, system tables, temp tables, oracle software files
>
> Question: I always used to see that Oracle recommended placing data
> tables and their indexes on separate spindles. However, in the 8.0
> performance tuning manuals they say that this is not necessary since the
> index is read first, then the table afterward and therefore there is no
> disk contention issue. If so, wouldn't this have always been the case,
> or is this something new from 8.0 onward?

I don't know what version of the Performance Tuning Manuals you are using, but that piece of advice is utter nonsense. It might be fine for reads, but what about DML? If you update a table, you also have to update the index(es) on that table -and if indexes and tables are on the same spindle, your i/os will inevitably have to queue up one behind the other.

> Question: Do you recommend disk striping? What stripe size best suits
> the PeopleSoft HRMS application?

Stripe size is hardware dependent, not application determined.

> Question: As an example, on a system with only two large capacity
> spindles (providing limited capability to separate objects by spindle),
> would the best choice be to stripe everything on both spindles?

Let me put it this way: the minimum number of disks recommended for a single Oracle database is 9; 12 is better; and 22 is considered gold standard. Per database. Anything less than 9 is going to be a compromise at best.

Regards
HJR