Re: questiones

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 20:16:51 +0100

> > In article <968gv9$p7t$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> > sybrandb_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> > > 1 As you don't mention your platform this is a bit difficult to
 answer.
> > > The default for Unix is $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/orapw<SID>
> > > You always use a password file
> > > 2 yes.
> >
> > But I don't understand why, shoudn't be no uncommited transactions in a
> > normal closed database.
> >

> What has that got to do with backing up the Redo Logs? The rules are that
> you don't precisely *need* to backup your redo logs if you've shut the
> database down in a clean fashion, precisely because there can, in that
> situation, be no uncommitted transactions in the datafiles (try and be
 more
> precise -a database comprises datafiles, control files AND the redo logs).
>
> Nevertheless, most people backup cold because they are in noarchivelog
 mode.
> In that case, being able to restore consistent images of the redo logs as
> they were at the time of last night's backup makes things one hell of a
 lot
> easier.
>
> If you are doing cold backups in archivelog mode, then (as I posted
> earlier), my advice remains NOT to backup the redo logs -there are too
 many
> examples of casual restoration of such redo logs -on top of perfectly good
> copies of the online logs which are needed for complete recovery.
>
> > > 3 Obviously you can delete old archivelog files only *after* a
> > > cold,consistent backup, and after a separate backup during your
> > > hotbackup. You should not manipulate the controlfile nor RMAN as the
> > > software is already taking into account which archivelogs it needs and
> >
> > Why do I need another hotbackup besides the COLD one, and what sould I
> > backup in this one? Archivelogs?
>
> Yes, I'm not entirely clear what Sybrand is getting at here, but I've no
> doubt the explanation will be forthcoming. Myself, I think it sounds
> horribly confused: either you have opted to do cold backups, or you have
> gone the hot route. Whatever: it really doesn't matter. Provided you
> retain all archives since the start of the last complete backup of
 whatever
> nature, you will be OK.
>
> > Have this anything to do with having more copies of the backup?
>
> Don't understand the question, and don't get yourself confused. If you
 are
> worried about duplexing (or quintuplexing your archivelogs) then fair
> enough: archives are *sooooo* important, it makes sense to ensure that
 there
> are multiple copies of them floating around.
>

> > > which it doesn't. Manipulating the controlfile or the RMAN catalog
> > > yourself is one of the most efficient Career Limiting Moves (tm)
> >
> > Hahahah, this is a good one!! You did register the mark:).
> >
> > > 4 The alert is by design in the background_dump_dest directory.

> [...]

I admit I didn't express myself clearly. 1 I have been in situations with insufficient diskspace to keep the archived redologs *online* (until the next backup) 2 the script in the DBA handbook has you backing your archived redo log files after hot backup
Hope this makes senses, or is it me being just confused?

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Mon Feb 12 2001 - 13:16:51 CST