Re: Oracle for linux can support mult database?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 15:58:26 +1100

Linux will support plenty of databases -that's just limited by the available disk space (though whether one box *should* run multiple databases is debateable).

Linux will also support plenty of Instances -that's just limited by the available memory. (Remember that databases are physical structures on disks and Instances are structures in memory which manage the databases for you).

In your specific situation, however, you are asking the impossible: with three databases, you will require 3 Instances. All in just 64M of memory.... 64M is the absolute minimum size of RAM just for installing the Oracle executables, let alone then having SGAs floating around as well!!

Buy some more memory (256M is really the minimum sensible size for an Oracle installation), and you will find Linux coping quite happily.

Regards