Re: questiones

From: <alexberi_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 11:39:58 GMT

In article <968gv9$p7t$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   sybrandb_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> In article <968fie$o9o$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> alexberi_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> >

> > Hi,
> > I have some simple questions, but I couldn't find the answers by
 now:
> > -How can I see if I use o password file and where it is?
> > -For a COLD backup of whole database, do I need to backup Redo Logs?
> > -When I want to delete some old ArchiveLog files, how do I delete
> > references to them from Control File and RMAN recovery catalog?
> > -Finaly, where I find the Alert Log?
> >
> > Thx, Alex.
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/
> >
> 1 As you don't mention your platform this is a bit difficult to
 answer.
> The default for Unix is $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/orapw<SID>
> You always use a password file
> 2 yes.

But I don't understand why, shoudn't be no uncommited transactions in a normal closed database.

> 3 Obviously you can delete old archivelog files only *after* a
> cold,consistent backup, and after a separate backup during your
> hotbackup. You should not manipulate the controlfile nor RMAN as the
> software is already taking into account which archivelogs it needs and

Why do I need another hotbackup besides the COLD one, and what sould I backup in this one? Archivelogs?
Have this anything to do with having more copies of the backup?

> which it doesn't. Manipulating the controlfile or the RMAN catalog
> yourself is one of the most efficient Career Limiting Moves (tm)

Hahahah, this is a good one!! You did register the mark:).

> 4 The alert is by design in the background_dump_dest directory.
>
> Hth,
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
>
> All standard disclaimers apply