Backup question - temp tablespaces

From: Syltrem <syltrem_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 13:42:04 -0500

Hello!

I am testing a db restore from cold backup but... I have not backed up the TEMP tablespace. Instead I have a script that says: ALTER DATABASE CREATE DATAFILE 'xyz' AS 'XYZ';

Since the temp datafile is a TEMPORARY tablespace content, there is nothing in there that needs backing up and I figured I could re-create the file before ALTER DATABASE OPEN.

It did not work as expected. I received the message that the file needed recovery. Why? I was finally able to do an ALTER DATABASE DATAFILE 'xx' OFFLINE DROP and ALTER DATABASE OPEN, after which I dropped the temp tablespace and recreated it.

So I guess my method is not so good, and the question is: How would you go about not backing up the temporary tablespaces (datafiles)?

Thanks!

--

Sytrem
http://pages.infinit.net/syltrem