Re: UDB dba?

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_usgs.gov>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 15:34:08 GMT

Personally, I've never used UDB.......

I've always believed that one should not "pigeon-hole" oneself to any one technology. It can be exciting and invigorating to learn as much about another RDBMS as you already know about Oracle. The challenge can lead to many rewards...

But I'd also be leery about putting myself into a corner on a RDBMS platform that is not one of the major players (i.e. SQL Server, DB2, Sybase, Informix, etc.). Personally, I'd give the opportunity some thought as long as I had assurances that I could shortly return to Oracle.

Just my 3.14159265 cents worth,
Brian

Charlie Crissman wrote:

> Gang,
>
> I am a Sr. Oracle DBA with over 6 years of Oracle DBA exp. and 11 years
> working in Unix. I also have my OCP credential. I have not had any
> problems finding work as an Oracle DBA. Things are just fine.
>
> I am being presented with an opportunity in my company to learn UDB and
> be the lead DBA on our UDB projects. I have had blinders on with
> respect to other dbms's since I started in Oracle and don't have a great
> feel for UDB, its future, its competitiveness with Oracle, etc...
>
> Can anyone out there give me some objective opinions about me learning
> this new skill?
>
> Thanks, Charlie Crissman
> Sr. Oracle DBA

Brian Peasland