Re: As oracle/dba still need internal passwd.. why?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 23:23:07 +1100

remote_login_passwordfile can be set to SHARED, EXCLUSIVE or NONE.

NONE means all DBA work is done by walking into a secured server room to perform DBA actions.... it's a secure environment, no-one is likely to be able to walk up to the computer I am using and assume my identity, no-one is likely to be able to watch over my shoulder as I log on. All verification is handled by the O/S, and since no-one else can access the O/S via my terminal, it's entirely secure. Given that I've had to provide a keypad password to the server room itself, plus log on to the Unix box with the requisite username and password, I don't see why Oracle should itself require further proof of identity!

EXCLUSIVE means I log on as a DBA in the outside world (a terminal in an open plan office, which I leave from time to time, so anyone could walk up to it and assume my identity). Even if I leave my terminal logged on to the domain, connections to Oracle will require the supply of an additional password, so as long as I don't leave myself logged in to Server Manager, things are pretty safe. What's more, we have three databases to manage, and I only look after one of them.... the other two don't want me on their database, and I don't want them on mine.

SHARED means all of the above, except that the three of us work as one team, and I can look after their databases as much as they can look after mine. So who needs private, database-specific passwords? We just want one set of passwords which will give all of us privileges on each of the databases.

There's no preferred setting on Oracle's part (though EXCLUSIVE is the default). It all depends entirely on where you are, what you are doing, and what your DBA'ing environment is.

Regards