advice on getting data through firewall with oracle 8i and 8.0.6

From: oskar <pheonix1t_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 00:49:33 GMT

hello people,
I'm going to have to start dealing with a problem soon at work concerning getting data through a firewall from two databases. One is an 8i on a winNT machine, the other is an 8.0.6 on an HP-UX.....in spring that database will be upgraded to an 8i as well.
So, the problem is getting through the firewall!!! I've seen some posts previously stating that the oracle database has a setting that you can adjust so that the database uses only one port (1521 for example). This makes it easier to extract data from that database and get that data through the firewall.
I'm just wondering what experiences anyone else has had with this situation and if you care to share that :)
This week I start this project.....so far we've set up a cold fusion server to connect to both database to extract the data. Then, we have to start getting to the firewall issue...

thank you for any opinions or advice!!

Oskar Received on Sun Feb 11 2001 - 18:49:33 CST