Re: Oracle on Linux or 2000?

From: <dellera_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 15:32:26 GMT

My two cents: I'm not a DBA (yet) and my first and only (so far) installation was on Suse Linux. I have used Oracle Universal Installer (which is some kind of a wizard) and I haven't had a single problem.

Of course, I first paid a visit to Suse to install a patch of the OS because my Linux is an old 6.3. Newer distributions don't even require this (AFAIK).

I can't think of a simpler way of installing Oracle, if even a novice like me can install it just by filling some forms of OUI ...

Perhaps the difficulties of installation you report were for the 8.1.5 version, which was actually a bit awkward. But 8.1.6 fixed a lot of things.

By the way Oracle Corporation is making a big investment on Linux, for whatever reason, commercial or technical. Given the superior stability and support of Linux, I would definitely give it (him?) a try ...

> I have
> suggested we consider looking at Linux if we are going to be on Intel
> boxes, but will be facing an uphill battle, as we are getting firmly
> entrenched with windows 2000 servers.
>
> However, I still think it is worth looking at at least. I use linux on
> a personal basis and am very impressed with its speed and stability,
> but I have heard that Oracle actually performs better on NT/2000, is
> easier to manage and install etc..
>
> comments or experiences anyone?
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/