Performance of UTL_HTTP

From: Michael O'Neill <mjoneill_at_email.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 21:46:40 GMT

When attempting to retreive content from a URL that fails (i.e., no webserver, etc), what mechanism can I use within my custom package that figures that fact out faster and moves on to the next task in the package.

The period it takes to timeout is fairly high (nearly 30 seconds) and it is this I am trying to reduce.

I'm using my procedure within 8.1.7EE on NT4 and plan to use in Solaris 2.6, but I'm not sure that makes any difference, unless there is some OS-level timeout characteristic that can be set.

--
Michael O'Neill
http://clever-idea.com