Re: NASA switches from Oracle to MySQL

From: Stuart Krivis <jd_at_mongo.krivis.com>
Date: 10 Feb 2001 09:48:32 -0500

On Sat, 06 Jan 2001 00:38:11 GMT, David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com> wrote:

>Provide a list of financial institutions, telecommunications providers
>or commercial aircraft maintenance facilities that utilize MySQL and
>we'll talk.

A lot of people smoke crack cocaine. That does not mean that it's good to do so. Your logic is faulty. :-)

>The companies listed, and the data stored, is not critical data.
>Provide solid examples of mission-critical applications and data and
>maybe your rantings and ravings won't fall upon deaf ears. Remember
>the tale of the boy who cried 'Wolf!'...

I wouldn't suggest MySQL for a lot of things, but it simply isn't designed to do them. It's quick and dirty. As many people have pointed out, MySQL is great for reads, and not so good when you need to do a lot of writes (especially simultaneously).

I personally like postgresql. It does more than MySQL.

I _don't_ particularly like Oracle, but that's just my opinion. This new licensing by CPU power gives them an incentive to make their software slower and more bloated.

Use whatever software is best _for you_. Just because "everyone" uses something doesn't mean it's best for everyone.

--

Stuart Krivis