Re: Configuration of number of CPU's to comply with license agreement

From: Spencer <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 21:49:45 -0600

do NOT change the value of CPU_COUNT in INIT.ORA. the value of this parameter does NOT limit the number of processors that Oracle will use. there are a couple of other INIT.ORA parameters that can be changed in order to tune for one, two or more processors. e.g. on a single processor machine, set SPIN_COUNT=0.

you can run this by your legal department, but i think that restricting Oracle processes to only two of the processors on a four processor machine does *NOT* comply with the terms of the license agreement. while oracle is restricted to two processors, other OS processes that support Oracle are running on the other two (or six or more) processors. so you need to restrict ALL of the processes to the two processors. (it was a nice try, though.)

if you are running standard edition, your recourse is to either remove or otherwise disable two of the processors, or alternatively install to a different machine that has only two processors. i know it is possible on some HP-UX boxes to disable some of the processors such that the OS doesn't see or use the processors.

if you're running enterprise edition, you also have the option is to cough up the money for the four processor license.