Re: Oracle Loader from Fox Pro: newbie question

From: Mike Krolewski <mkrolewski_at_rii.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 17:48:48 GMT

In article <961872$7l1$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   jrp7442_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Can you use the oracle loader to go from a Fox Pro database straight
> Oracle or do you have to go to flat text files first then to
 Oracle...O
> am a newbie at this and would appreciate some help if possible
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

You should start by reading the Loader manuals -->> it is the Oracle 8i Utilities manual.

It is designed for text files -- not binaries. Generally speaking it can converts a single line of text into one or more records. There are some excellent examples in the manuals.

IMHO you are best working with small numbers of rows ( < 100) for each table until you think that you can load the entire table. You might also expect to have to reload the entire dataset when you are done due to mistakes, etc. It is always good to script the process to allow for reproducable actions.

Finally, it is often easier to load the other database as is into Oracle and then translate it into the new database design/structure. IMHO most database designs need some rework. It is unlikely that the original design is the best design now.

--
Michael Krolewski
Rosetta Inpharmatics

Sent via Deja.com