Re: Backup planning experience

From: Andreas Schlager <aschlager_at_eunet.at>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 18:14:38 GMT

alexberi_at_my-deja.com wrote in <95tuch$df3$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>:

>-Is it a good idea to backup the whole database incrementaly or to
>treat the table separatelly?
>-What about the partitions?
>-If the database can be shutdown during the night do I need to backup
>archive logs?
>-the output device is a tape, do I need a different tape for each daily
>backup?

Hi Alex,

I don't know RMAN in detail.
if you want to keep the database running 7x24, you have to set the db in backup-mode (alter database begin backup or somehow), backup ALL DB-Files, then alter database end backup, and now all archives generated during backup until now.

If you shut down your DB and if you backup ALL db-files (incl. redo logs, contr. files), you should not need the archives (someone please correct me if I'm wrong here).

I'm sure, you would need more than one tape - I'm sure you need a tape library to backup 200 gigs. No chance at all to do it without. And use *fast* tapes! Keep in mind, that in the case of disaster you need at minimum the time to restore that it took to backup the data.

If you plan to use incremental backups, also think about the time factor. First, you have to restore a COMPLETE offline backup, then you have to apply ALL following archives!!! This could take a couple of days, if you have to apply a lot of archives!

I hope, that helps a little bit.

If I'm wrong somewhere here, please correct me, group!

Andy. Received on Thu Feb 08 2001 - 12:14:38 CST