Re: Application DBA and System DBA

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 23:43:23 +0000

asim1976_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> Hi
> I am new in DBA field, will some body explain me what is
> difference between Application DBA and System DBA
>

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

It sounds like someone had to come up with a means of conning their HR department so they could pay enough to get the DBA they wanted.

I can see it now.

HR: Well according to the average salary for DBAs and the fact that our policy is to never bring anyone in at more than the midpoint for the pay-grade the best we can offer is $45K.

IT MGR: Oh, but I am not looking for an application DBA. I NEED a system DBA and as you know they command really big bucks.

HR: What did you have in mind.

IT MGR: Well, for the skill level I MUST HAVE in order to keep the whole business from collapsing I expect to have to pay $100K.

HR: Gulp! 100K?

IT MGR: Yeah, just think of the cost of the database crashing on Thursday when we are getting ready to run the payroll.

HR: Okay, hire a systems DBA, but don't go over $100K.

--
Jerry Gitomer
Once I learned how to spell DBA, I became one