Re: Returning a result set from a stored procedure

From: Mike Krolewski <mkrolewski_at_rii.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 00:56:26 GMT

In article <3A83078E.68A335FB_at_earthlink.net>,   Tom Waterhouse <tomwater2_at_earthlink.net> wrote:
> Oracle novice here, so please excuse the question.
>
> Is there a way to return a result set from a stored procedure? That
 is,
> if I wanted a stored procedure to return a result set, and then be
 able
> to have access to that result set via JDBC (just like a select
> statement), what can I do?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom

No. No and No. Oracle does not generate a result set. Ever.

If you read the JDBC Developer's Guide and Reference Release 2.0, Chapter 11 speaks to the process of generating within Java a result set. Basically you need to develop the appropriate code. If done properly, you can have a scollable, updatable result set.

Sorry for this short tirade. However, if you are a novice, you need to actually read alot. Oracle has many features and some limitations. You should be aware of them long before you start writing code. Knowing that Oracle does not generate a result set is practically the first day of school. Get some good books and start reading.

--
Michael Krolewski
Rosetta Inpharmatics

Sent via Deja.com