Re: Oracle-(server) and Macintosh

From: Gordon Cartwright <gordon_cartwright_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 07:53:56 +0000

The are two methods I know of. A Mac specific Oracle client or Java/JDBC. Unfortunately, the Oracle client for a Mac is still Oracle v7. You can use SQL*Plus from the Mac to talk to an Oracle DB via SQL*Net and TCP/IP, but because the client is v7 there are some restrictions on the v8 features that can be used. The Java aprroach is the use the thin JDBC driver to connect to the DB, again via TCP/IP.

What desktop software would you be wanting to use? Is it Java, or does it have a Mac version available?