Re: oracle 8.1.6 installation(linux) problem

From: Ezr Vinh <d_a_p_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 17:12:34 GMT

As a couple other posts have mentioned, there appears to be a kludge to make 8i work on RH 7. But you might want to consider wether you really want to deal with a hassle like this. I went through this very same thing a couple months ago. Ultimately, I dumped RH7 and went back to 6.2. The very elaborate kludges needed to make it work on 7 left me with no confidence in the system.

I'm also running the Application Server 4.0.8.1 and Oracle's HTTP listener for Web serving, and my RH6.2-based system has been rock-solid and trouble-free.

My advice would be to merely go back to RH 6.2, install 8i, and be happy. I see nothing in RH7 that makes it worth the headaches of trying to coax it into working with Oracle.

In article <BQkf6.216653$w35.38560893_at_news1.rdc1.nj.home.com>,   "Linjiang Ma" <linjiang.ma_at_home.com> wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> I have got this problem for a while and never been able to figure
 it
> out... Please help
> Tried to install 8.1.6 server on a linux machine which is
 upgraded to
> redhat 7 from 6.x. Everything is fine until install the sample
 database.
> Actually the database is all copied over and when executing the
> createseeddb.sh, I found that the process stay there forever. Did a
 check
> with "ps axf", I found that the script calls svrmgrl, and svrmgrl
 start an
> "oracle" process, which is marked as "<defunct>". I killed the dead
> processes and try to do it myself with svrmgrl. But whenever type
 "svrmgrl",
> I got 'end of communication channel error'. If I try to run bin/oracle
> instead, I got an coredump.
> The machine I tried installation is a Dual Pentium 200 with 128MB
 EDO
> RAM. Disk space is enough. I tried a couple of times without success,
 while
> installing the oracle client part is quite smooth.
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Martin

Sent via Deja.com