Re: how to create new database

From: Uchakra <uchakra_at_aol.com>
Date: 07 Feb 2001 03:46:06 GMT

If you have a NT workstation or server
with enough disk space ( > 5 GB ) and
reasoanble memory, atleast do
a complete typical install of Oracle,
accept all default, have the installation process create the default database.

The default ORACLE_SID is ORCL.
Make sure you specify the directory
for ORACLE_HOME on the correct drive
where ytou know you have enough space.

If the defaukt installation has completedOK, you should get icons for database administration, database configuration assistant and sqlplus among other things.

Then get the book
Learning Oracle 8i on NT in 21 days.

The book goes through a lot of fundamental stuff step by step. You can easily
follow these stpes precisely if you have been successful in your default installation.

After you get a handle on NT Oracle
architecture, processes, services ,
registry entry etc. proceed to create
a new database using the configuration assistant. You can follow the examples of
the above mentioned NT/Oracle book.

Meanwhile you have gotten hold of some of the good Oracle books suggested by other experienced DBAs here and have studied
the books for developing a thorough
understanding of what is an Oracle database and its components.

I tried to give a detailed description of what I think would be of practival help to
you. If you already know all these, please ignore everything.

Regards
Willy Received on Tue Feb 06 2001 - 21:46:06 CST