Can't connect to remote database

From: <paul_rogers6_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 09:04:01 GMT

Dear All

I have the following problem trying to connect to a remote database.

The remote database is running Oracle 8.0 on an NT4 SP6 server.

The client is running Oracle 8.1.7 on a linux Red Hat 6.0 2.2.5 server

The install seems ok and I have set the following environment variables

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/oracle/home/OraHome1/lib

ORACLE_BASE=/oracle/home/OraHome1
ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/home/OraHome1
ORACLE_SID=ORCL

PATH=/oracle/home/OraHome1/bin:$PATH

If I run sqlplus and enter the user as "user1" I get exactly the same error messages.

ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist Linux Error: 2: No such file or directory.

If, however I enter the user as "user_at_db1" it works fine.

There is obviuosly some thing wrong with my client installation. I did manage to find the error messages on the oracle web site but they are not particularly helpful.

Does any one have any ideas what the problem is?

Many thanks

Paul

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Mon Feb 05 2001 - 03:04:01 CST