Re: How to implement OPS on HP-UX

From: Bill Border <bb22_at_uswest.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 08:07:43 -0700

Hi,

 We have implemented OPS on HP-UX. You have to run ServiceGuard for OPS; that's that OS layer that allows OPS to communicate between servers. What you don't have to run is the full blown SG "failover" piece.

 We are running our clusters on N class boxes running HP-UX 11.00 64-bit. We are using EMC for our disk solution, but I don't know the details of how the connectivity is done. There is something called "shared LVM" whichh is needed to keep the disk definitions in sync. You probably knew this, but you have to use RAW disk. The only weirdness that I saw in Oracle on RAW was that you can only have 1 datafile per LV. In other words, there is no concept of offsets when you define a datafile, so the UX people have to define the LV's to the size that you need for your datafiles.

 If you are going to run 8.1.6, I would highly recommend using 8.1.6.2.0. We ran into a problem where if one server goes down the listener does not automatically reset the MTS connections for the down server unless you are on 8.1.6.2.0.

Bill

If this posting has been helpful, please visit http://dbamon.com . (A low-cost Oracle/Informix/MSSQL UX-based monitoring tool).

--
Bill Border
Agilent Technologies
Liz Reen wrote in message ...

>In article <id7e6.37923$R5.1862630_at_news1.frmt1.sfba.home.com>,
>no_at_home.com says...
>> Does anyone have any suggestions in picking out hardware and software for
>> implementing OPS on two HP K Class Model 889 servers? Does anyone have
>> any recommendation on a shared disk system and an interconnect? By the
way,
>> what's an interconnect? I am trying to set up a test environment for
OPS.