Re: Storage consideration

From: Spencer <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 12:48:34 -0600

"Abdul Majid" <Mmajid_at_btinternet.com> wrote in message news:95i58d$5h1$1_at_neptunium.btinternet.com...
> Can any body let me know how can I estimate how much storage I need for a
> particular data. like if I have to plan a 60gb data to be stored in Oracle
> Database, how much storage I need to do so, and come comparisons with
 other
> Databases like Sybase, Informix, DB2 etc.
>
> Regards
>
> Abdul Majid

space estimation can be a very involved process. but a quick shortcut would be to determine (or estimate) how much space the data occupies (or would occupy) in a plain text file. add 20% for oracle overhead (like freespace, row headers, block headers, etc.). for indexes, estimate the same amount of space as the data.

for 60GB of data, a quick estimate is 60GB*2.4 = 144GB for Oracle. you'll also need room for the oracle software, control files, redo logs, system tablespace, archive logs, rollback and temp. the amount of space required for the archive logs, rollback and temp will depend on the transaction and user mix. but for adequate performance, figure on a minimum of three dedicated disk drives, before adding the drives for your data and indexes.

HTH Received on Sun Feb 04 2001 - 12:48:34 CST