oracle 8.1.6 installation(linux) problem

From: Linjiang Ma <linjiang.ma_at_home.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 22:37:21 GMT

Hi, all

    I have got this problem for a while and never been able to figure it out... Please help

    Tried to install 8.1.6 server on a linux machine which is upgraded to redhat 7 from 6.x. Everything is fine until install the sample database. Actually the database is all copied over and when executing the createseeddb.sh, I found that the process stay there forever. Did a check with "ps axf", I found that the script calls svrmgrl, and svrmgrl start an "oracle" process, which is marked as "<defunct>". I killed the dead processes and try to do it myself with svrmgrl. But whenever type "svrmgrl", I got 'end of communication channel error'. If I try to run bin/oracle instead, I got an coredump.

    The machine I tried installation is a Dual Pentium 200 with 128MB EDO RAM. Disk space is enough. I tried a couple of times without success, while installing the oracle client part is quite smooth.

    Can anyone help?

Thanks,

-Martin Received on Sun Feb 04 2001 - 16:37:21 CST