Recovery from Hot Backup

From: <laslettm_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 06:21:27 GMT

I require clarification on restoring a database from a hot backup, using a backup controlfile.

By way of background:

I am running Oracle 8.0.5 (part of the one-hour install of Applications 11.0.3)
Solaris 2.6

After some problems applying patches to a production & test databases, I have installed 1103 on a seperate server, and am trying to copy the database from the original server to the "new" server.

I took the nightly backup tape, shutdown the database on the new server, and restored all the datafiles.

I have edited the backupcontrolfile script and run it so that the instance has started, and the db requires recovery.

Problem:

I have tried the following:

recover database until cancel using backup controlfile;

and

recover database until time <time of an appropriate log switch from the alert.log> using backup controlfile;

and keep getting message -

ORA-01547: warning: RECOVER succeeded but OPEN RESETLOGS would get error below
ORA-01194: file 1 needs more recovery to be consistent ORA-01110: data file 1: '/u02/oradata/LOOKPRD/system01.dbf'

The archived redo logs I am pointing to have been archived well after the backup completed (up to 2 days in some cases!).

The data in the db is not particularly important, but I need to get the db open.

Can anyone point out what I am doing wrong? Am I missing something to do with the ONLINE redo logs?

Thanks,
Martin

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Sun Feb 04 2001 - 00:21:27 CST