Re: LAT / LONG GIS values in a table

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 19:14:19 -0800

> What would be the best way to store lat/long (without using the spacial
> cart.) in a table.
>
> e.g. store degrees/min/sec as a decimal and convert when wanting to be
> displayed ?
> Anybody got an example / ideas of this ?

As everyone has told you. It depends on what you are going to use them for.

At my last project we used them to calculate distances between objects. And the optimal way to store them was in radians so that the calculation did not need to be repeated every time a calculation was required.

Better to calculate once on loading rather than recalculate every time a user accesses the record.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Sun Feb 04 2001 - 21:14:19 CST