Re: Adding CPU

From: EM <nospam_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 03:05:03 GMT

The uptomp utility moves to the smp kernel. HOWEVER - It installs stuff from the _BASE_ OS release. (ie without service pac updates). The interface routines changed over time, so OS function calls seem to get screwed up.

The solution is to apply the service pac update before rebooting after the uptomp step. Found this out after several attempts. If most of the OS files are at SP6a and the smp pieces are base level, it stands to reason that things may not match.

After this experience, I keep the C: drive in FAT format as other stuff (DOS or BeOS or Linux) can get at the files if I run into problems. The most recent solution is to have a small partition with a 2nd install of NT as a safety. Its easy to boot this partition from a floppy & it understands NTFS if necessary. Really neat. It can even be in a logical partition so it doesn't kill a primary partition entry. (Only takes 190 megs or up to about 300M if you want space to apply a service pac.)

Apply the service pack before you reboot & there should be no problems. Forget the service pac & you're doomed to the frustration I & others have gone through..

EM