Tunneling SQLPlus with ssh

From: Christian Dueholm Christensen <chch_at_freesbee.wheel.dk>
Date: 3 Feb 2001 22:18:32 GMT

Hi All

I have an Oracle 8.0.5.0.0 database running on NT4 (not my choice of platform but thats the small blows life gives you) and I have a number of off-site developers that needs to make a connection with a sqlplus client.
Instead of punching great big holes in my firewall I would prefer to use ssh to tunnel the connection. I have tried forwarding port 1521 which does make tnsping work, but the sqlplus connection fails with error code 12203.
After looking at the output from netstat -a on a machine at the same network as the Oracle server it seems that the server opens a connection back to the client on a more or less random port. Is there a way for the client to request a specific port on the server when the connection is set up?

Has anbody done anything like this before?

--
Christian D. Christensen

"I think the sum of intelligence on the internet is constant. Only the
number of lusers grows..."  - Uwe Ohse in the monastery