Re: Will setting timed_statistics=TRUE create much overhead?

From: John Morrison <jdmorri_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 02:02:40 +1100

The rule of thumb with versions 6 7 and 8 was to not run production systems with timed statistics, due to the approximately 5-15% overhead, which could be very significant if tuning a system that had serious performance problems. But that was when systems had very little excess capacity (due to the cost constraints).
Now, I would simply say, benchmark before and after setting the parameter dynamicaly, and if it hurts performance turn it off when you have the tuning information you need.