Re: Pro* C developer

From: Mike Krolewski <mkrolewski_at_rii.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 00:20:25 GMT

In article <95fi4m$vgm$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   netblow_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I am new to the developer environment of Pro
> C.Please suggest me the forum if its not a right
> forum to post this message.
>
> I want to convert my existing code which is using
> some other library to Proc.Oracle version is
> 8.1.6.
>
> My query is :-
>
> Can I get table in one shot from the database
> from stored procedures using Pro C.Currently i am
> using other library tools which support returning
> cursors from the stored procedure and not
> tables.If yes,any samples and/or tutorial site
> will be helpful in this regard.
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Simple answer : No.

ProC is written to support Oracle calls within the C environment. Generally speaking, if you can do it somewhere with the Oracle enviroment, you can write something equivalent in proC. There are not major or magical additions to the proC environment. You have more control over the data. You do not have the limits of PL/SQL unless you are envoking PL/SQL.

Oracle is still and hopefully will remain a cursor based environment. To read data, you must execute a cursor of some sort -- implicit or explicit. The results must to read or collected by the application. proC does support host arrays, so it is possible to read a bunch of records at a time. However this is still not a 'table'.

Get a hold of the Application Development manuals -- there is a lot of good stuff to read.

--
Michael Krolewski
Rosetta Inpharmatics

Sent via Deja.com