Re: Nested Tables?

From: Mike Krolewski <mkrolewski_at_rii.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 17:39:13 GMT

In article <95ek4v$2ic$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   jdorlon_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Can anyone describe a scenario of when nested tables would be desired?
> They just seem so complicated to me that they are not worth the
> effort! Am I missing something?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Exactly. There are some possible uses -- that obviously could be done other ways. One is a header and detail records. The idea is that one is always looking at the detail with the header. Access speed is improved as the detail rows are immediately accessible. Major problem is the limit to the number of nested rows. A second issue is that your business rules will change, and the reason to keep the detail immediately close to the header will go away.

A significant use would be duplicating another system --> COBOL or ISAM for instance where this structure is common. Useful in quickly transferring from one system to another. IMHO not the best data design.

Practically, IMHO nested tables is a solution in search of a problem.

--
Michael Krolewski
Rosetta Inpharmatics

Sent via Deja.com