Re: Hot Backup

From: The Tentative DBA.... <mick_rice_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 16:55:17 GMT

Asish,

      Whether you need to back-up your archive logs or not depends on what your restore requirements are. If your only current backup strategy is to do daily hot backups of the database, it looks to me that you do also need to backup your logfiles to tape or to another disk at least. If your logfiles become corrupt or go missing and you have no cold backup of the database, you're completely stuffed. If some of your redo logs are corrupt/lost you'll obviously be able to restore along the sequence of logs until you hit the corrupt/missing file.

Perhaps the best advice would be to vary your backup strategy by doing a full offline backup at weekends and hot backups each day during the interim. In this way you can reasonably hope to avoid building up huge collections of archived log files,

Good Luck,

Mick.

--
If it isn't backed up, it's not worth shit !

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/