Re: Oracle sometime sleeps?

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 13:57:37 GMT

Oliver,

> i have a problem with my Oracle 8.0.1 Server on WinNT 4.0 SP6, 512 MB MEM,
> 80 GB HDD, 600 MHZ Athlon. Sometime (nearly every 10 Minutes) Oracle slow
> down so that some SQL's with normaly costs one or two seconds need 30 or 40
> seconds to execute. The performance items are ok (i.e. 98% get &
> pin-hitratio...) and Oracle only uses 80 MB of memory. The tables are not
> very large (about 100 MB with 20.000 to 800.000 rows) but Oracle must serve
> about 5 to 10 million rows a hour to about 40 user, but the number of rows
> Oracle must return is from 100 to 100.000, maybe thats the problem?!

First off, your Oracle version has been desupported a real long time ago. You should be at Oracle 8.0.6 or 8.1.6+. Now I step off my soap box....

Your Oracle SGA size may need to be much more than 80 MB. How big is your buffer cache? Have you checked the hit ratio? Alos, you library cache/dictionary cache may not be large enough too. You'll have to check out all of those items. Sounds like you'll need to attempt some performance tuning!

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at