database creation problems on Linux

From: <m_tov_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 02:55:46 GMT

Hi,

I have just installed Oracle 8.1.6 on Linux (I have tried this on RH7 and Mandrake 7.1). I left all the parameters (shm and sem) at the system defaults (I looked in the header files and they seemed to be adeqaute) and set the variables as recommended in the documentation. It installs just fine but when I connect internal and try to startup nomount to create the database the server seems to freeze right after the startup nomount pfile= command, and nothing halps after that short of shutting down the console window.

Any ideas anyone? I would appreciate any help.

TIA
Michael

P. S. This is a simple training non-OFA database.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Fri Feb 02 2001 - 20:55:46 CST