Re: Any ODBC and performance issues

From: <jocave_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 15:33:19 GMT

In article <959sdl$br$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   buckeye714_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Scenario: Third party application. Run's on Windows (Various
> versions). It was written for MS Access. We use Oracle 8.1.6 on
> Solaris. (The vendor modified the code for use with Oracle). A
 process
> that reads and updates 32,000 records takes 32 hours to run. Vendor
> says it runs fine with Access. I have monitored the database and it
 is
> running well. Buffer Cache, Dictionary Cache and SQL cache hit ratios
> are all above 98%. No I/O problems. No wait events.
>
> Desired: Information on possible ODBC problems. We are not
> experiencing network problems. The dml is using indexes as expected.
> The transactions don't take long on the database side. I would like
> rule out the ODBC connection as the problem, but have not worked with
> ODBC very much. Can any one recommend a source for information on
ODBC? I'm not sure where to go looking for generic ODBC performance suggestions, but I'll try to walk through a few.

I assume that you're using the 8.1.6.2 Oracle ODBC driver at the moment. If you're using an earlier version, you probably want to update it from OTN <http://otn.oracle.com>. I also assume that the 32,000 rows of data are significantly smaller than the available RAM on the client machine.

If changing 'Prefetch Count' doesn't improve performance, how much contact do you have with the 3rd party developers. Basically, can you ask them about how they're using ODBC (things like cursor location, number of rows they fetch at a time, etc) or do you have to get this information by looking at ODBC log files?

Justin Cave
- From the ODBC Control Panel application

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Thu Feb 01 2001 - 09:33:19 CST