Re: LAT / LONG GIS values in a table

From: Matthew Fuller <matthewlf_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 12:39:24 GMT

In article <G81uKp.8oD_at_news.boeing.com>,   "Stephen Spence" <Stephen.Spence_at_Australia.Boeing.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> What would be the best way to store lat/long (without using the
 spacial
> cart.) in a table.
>
> e.g. store degrees/min/sec as a decimal and convert when wanting to be
> displayed ?
> Anybody got an example / ideas of this ?
>
> Email preffered,
> Regards,
> Stephen

Stephen,

I suppose it depends on what you're doing with the values. Note that if you have any intention of performing area (i.e. spatial) queries on them, I can't imagine why you wouldn't use the SDO.

We store lat/lon in the SDO_GEOMETRY datatype, but we also keep some point values in other fields. We would probably have those in SDO_GEOMETRY, but they are already part of composite datatypes in nested tables, and since SDO_GEOMETRY is already an array structure, Oracle won't allow it. In any event, I would suggest you create a custom datatype (i.e. object) like "Global_Point" and have Lat/Lon in it. Then you can stick the Global_Point datatype in your tables. We store all of our spatial information numerically (i.e. min/sec as decimal).

Matt.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Thu Feb 01 2001 - 06:39:24 CST