Spatial Index mysteries

From: <ribault_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 08:16:28 GMT

Hi,

I have some difficulties understanding the spatial indexes behavior. I am using the Object-relational model in 8.1.6. First, I looked in the user guide the way to create a spatial index, and there is an explaination stating that if you don't put the SDO_LEVEL and SDO_NUMTILES parameter values, there will be an error. Since I have no clue about what values I should provide, I use the SDO_TUNE.ESTIMATE_TILING_LEVEL that gives me a value, and create the index from that. It works, until I try to rebuild the index using ALTER INDEX REBUILD. The error is displayed below: ERROR at line 1:

ORA-29855: error occurred in the execution of ODCIINDEXCREATE routine
ORA-13209: internal error while reading SDO_INDEX_METADATA table
ORA-06512: at "MDSYS.SDO_INDEX_METHOD", line 83
ORA-06512: at line 1

Now, If I try to create the index without parameters, not only it works, but the index rebuild also work. And I don't really notice a difference in apparent performance.

Am I missing something about the spatial index parameters ?

--
Pierre-Laurent Ribault
Shizuoka, Japan

Sent via Deja.com