Re: Will setting timed_statistics=TRUE create much overhead?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 08:07:05 +1100

The rule of thumb is that if ever switching timed statistics on causes a noticeable degradation in database performance, your database clearly was performing like an absolute dog and was in desperate need of tuning anyway (which you can't do without accurate timed statistics).

In a "normal" database, it has perhaps a 1%-2% hit on performance, tops. You wouldn't notice it.

On the other hand, since it's dynamically changeable (alter system set timed_statistics=TRUE), it's not something I'd leave switched on without good reason.

Regards