Re: Oracle Patch 8.1.6.3.1 ???

From: Harald Henkel <Harald_at_Henkel.DAH.UUnet.DE>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 22:06:29 +0100

Hello Willy.

> What's the 'AutoStart' problem and
> on which Unix platform it happens
> most ?

The 'AutoStart' problem is a problem that oracle database needs 10+ minutes after reboot to come up.
On some systems it wont't start at all.

There also seems to be a problem with other services which want to access the database.
I can make one service dependant of another, but the Oracle Service is already up. Only the database instance is not accessible.

If there is a process which tries to connect to the DB during this time it seems to prevent the instance to come up at all - though I didn't test this to the last bit...

This problem - intriduced when ? - was fixed in some 8.1.6.1.x patch, but was the fix was for some strange reason not included in the 8.1.6.3 patch, which our application seems to require for some reason.

Up to now there doesn't seem to be a fix, which could be applied to a 8.1.6.3 patched installation.

I'm not quite sure if this error exists on Unix platform, but it does on Windows NT :-((

Ciao,
Harald Received on Thu Feb 01 2001 - 15:06:29 CST