Re: oracle on raw devices

From: Maciej Kwapulinski <pikpok_at_univ.gda.pl>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 14:08:35 -0500

Nuno Souto wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Jan 2001 15:57:38 -0500, Maciej Kwapulinski
> <pikpok_at_univ.gda.pl> wrote:
>

> >I did as told me:
> >1) removed DBCA_RAW_CONFIG variable from .profile
> >2) logout, login again
> >3)I run dbassist, and for example in the card, where I am asked about the size and
> >place of SYSTEM tablespace, i put /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s3 path
>
> Whoops, my apologies. I forgot you're trying to do this with
> "dbassist". Try producing the output script file and running it
> outside of dbassist: I don't think it can cope with raw devices that
> easily. Someone else mentioned there is a warning about this
> somewhere.
>
> >4) i press "next >" button,
> >
> >and the answer of dbassist is :
> >datafile /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s3 already exisits
> >You must specify another filename
> >
> >Indeed, there is filename /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s3, but this is a link (as it must be) to
> >device in /devices/..... directory
> >
> >I have no other datatbases, so it is is impossible that this file is used by
> >another database
> >it is raw so it isn't mounted as well
> >
> >What is wrong ?
> >

> Also, someone else suggested creating symbolic links to the raw
> devices and using these instead. This means you can create, say, a
> symbolic link for the first file in the SYSTEM tablespace as eg:
>
> ln -s <raw device path> $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/<instance_name>/system01.dbf
>
> and then use the second half (the link) as the filename for tablespace
> SYSTEM. It will link to the raw device you assigned to it.
>
> But you'll still need to create the script with dbassist and then run
> it with svrmgrl.
>
> HTH
>
> Cheers
> Nuno Souto
> nsouto_at_bigpond.net.au.nospam
> http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html

Thanks to all of You.
Thanks to all Your suggestions I managed to do this. That's what I did:

1) let the dbassist create scripts.
2) create symbolic links from *.dbf files proposed by dbassist, to raw devices.
3) start the script

anythong went well

Greetings
Maciej Received on Thu Feb 01 2001 - 13:08:35 CST