Oracle 8.1.7 download won't install properly on Linux

From: vrw <linux4me2000_at_netscape.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 02:41:00 -0000

Hello everyone,
I have recently downloaded Oracle 8.1.7 Enterprise Edition from Oracle's website, and I'm trying to get it to run on my system, for which the specs are:
dual Pentium 3 Katmai, 450 Mhz
512 MB RAM
SuSE 7 Pro base system
upgraded to 2.4.0 kernel with SMP support glibc 2.1
XFree86 4.0.2
KDE2
Java Runtime Environment 1.1.8 v3, from blackdown.org Here's the problem: The installer starts up, no problem there, and proceeds to install the various elements of the 'typical' installation. However, whenever it gets to installing the database itself (also chose predefined options to keep things simple at first) it just 'hangs' on 'Initializing Database'. There are no error messages, and nothing crashes, the harddrive(s) just stop doing anything, and I waited for 25 mins. (With my system specs, that ought to be plenty...) When I then kill the installer windows with Ctrl-Alt-Esc, and try to look on the drive that contains the home directory for Oracle, it doesn't display the contents of that folder, but rather freezes. Does anyone have a similar problem ?
I'm grateful for any advice !!

Thanks in advance for your help,

Regards,

Volkmar Received on Wed Jan 31 2001 - 20:41:00 CST